Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Winter Weather Awareness Week Day 4: Indoor Safety

  • 0

TODAY IS THE 4TH DAY OF OUR WINTER WEATHER AWARENESS WEEK COVERAGE. TODAY'S TOPIC AT THE SURFACE SOUNDS NOT-THAT-BAD, BUT IT CAN ACTUALLY BE A SILENT KILLER.

WE ARE GOING TO TALK HOW TO STAY SAFE INDOORS, THAT MEANS GAURDING AGAINST WHAT OFTEN CAN BUILD UP IN OUR HEATED INSULTED HOMES DURING THESE WINTER MONTHS CAN CAN BE DAMAGING TO OUR HEALTH. THE MAIN CULPRIT IS CARBON MONOXIDE.

CARBON MONOXIDE IS AN ODOR-LESS COLORLESS GAS WHICH INDUCES FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS. IN LARGE DOSES, IT CAN BE FATAL. AND THERE ARE LOADS OF THINGS INSIDE YOUR HOME WHICH HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO RELEASE THIS GAS. I'LL SHOW YOU.

UPSTAIRS, THAT GAS STOVE IN YOUR KITCHEN COULD BE A SOURCE. NEVER USE A GAS STOVE TO FURTHER HEAT YOUR HOME. A SPACE HEATER COULD ALSO BE A SOURCE IF LEFT ON FOR TOO LONG OR SOMETHING BEGINS TO BURN. SPEAKING OF BURNING, AN IMPOPERLY VENTILATED FIREPLACE IS ANOTHER SOURCE OF CARBON MONOXIDE.

MOVING DOWNSTAIRS, THE CLOTHES DRYER COULD BE A SOURCE. AS COUDL THE FURNACE AND WATER HEATER, ESPECIALLY IF SOMETHING IS WRONG EITHER OF THEM. LASTLY, THE CAR IN YOUR GARAGE COULD BE A MAJOR SOURCE. NEVER EVER NEVER LEAVE YOUR CAR ON IN A SHUT GARAGE.

THIS HIGHLIGHTS WHY IT'S IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WORKING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR.

OTHER THINGS TO MONITOR IN YOUR HOME DURING THESE WINTER MONTHS IS RADON, AND ALSO THE ACCUMULATION OF MOLD.

Recommended for you