ROCHESTER, Minn. -
Mayo Clinic says they do cover benefits for transgender people including hormonal therapy, chest surgery and preventive and follow-up care. But they do not cover things like hair removal, facial reconstruction and voice therapy. One person in the transgender community speaks out.
"It seems kind of unusual to not cover all the aspects of transition for all employees.
Dr. Sharonne Hayes, a cardiologist with Mayo Clinic, agrees.
"I think if we are going to provide optimal care to our transgender employees, those services should be covered," Hayes said.
Dr. Hayes says they will advocate and educate so it becomes part of their benefits package.
- Looking at Mayo Clinic's healthcare coverage
- Mayo Clinic's Transform conference explores future of healthcare
- 2 generations of healthcare providers at Mayo Clinic Health System
- High school students learn from Mayo Clinic about healthcare careers
- Mayo reopens clinics Monday
- Mayo Clinic Emergency Staff Plan
- Mayo Clinic makes fundraising history
- Mayo Clinic warns against vaping
- Alzheimer's Disease Research at Mayo Clinic
- Mayo Clinic is helping sex trafficking survivors