ALBERT LEA, Minn. - 4H competitors fired up their charcoal grills for the Freeborn County Fair's 2nd annual 4H Meat Grilling Competition.
4H kids prepared and cooked pork tenderloin, a special sauce, and a side dish for judges to sample. Every team took their own spin on the meat.
"We put a dry rub on there first and every so often we basted it with a barbeque sauce," explains Lucas Morrison.
Before the competition kicked off, the competitors had a lesson in grill safety.
"We learned not to put a lot of lighter fluid on it and not to stand too close to it when you're putting lighter fluid on it and not let anything that touched the raw meat touch our cooked meat," says Halee Miller, whose team won the year prior.
Judges evaluate the dishes based on presentation, taste, and the teams' understanding of food safety and teamwork.
- Young grillmasters
- 'Young Authors, Young Artists' conference encourages creativity
- Showcasing young artists
- Area students participate in Young Authors, Young Artists Conference
- Ear infections common amoung young children
- An event for young professionals in Rochester
- Austin man sentenced for raping young girl
- Young Construction fire blamed on battery charger
- Special Olympics Young Athletes kick off program
- Minnesota young voters making their voices heard