WORTH CO., Iowa- It's a topic that is on the mind of many these days: Abduction attempts.
“If they act weird or anything, just try to get away from them,” said Carter Severson of Northwood.
Severson said it doesn’t happen all of the time, but he had an encounter that made him feel uncomfortable in the past.
“When it happens, you just have to try and get away from them,” he said.
While Carter didn’t go in to detail about what happened, his dad, Ryan, was just happy he’s safe.
“That’s what’s scary,” said Ryan Severson. “You don’t know as a parent what’s going when they are going to school or from school, or at a park, wherever, it’s scary.”
Luckily for Carter, his parents taught him the basics, such as calling 9-1-1, his address and his phone number at a young age.
“By kindergarten, you want them to know their phone number and their address, things like that,” said Carter’s dad.
And with the recent news of Mollie Tibbets going missing and what happened in Freeborn County, the Worth County Sheriff’s Office posted tips on Facebook, especially with school right around the corner. One tip for kids: don’t let anyone on the phone or at the door know you are home alone. And for parents, be alert at all times.
“Unfortunately, we can’t be there all the time,” said Worth County Sheriff Dan Fank. “But there are others out there watching and being able to see something and make a report. Then we can go check on it really quick.”
So everyone knows how to keep themselves safe, like Carter, in case anything like this happens to them.
“You need to try and find your parents and get away,” said Carter.
- Worth County Sheriff's Office post tips to keep kids safe
- Safe Shoveling Tips
- Grass fire warning from Worth County Sheriff's Office
- Worth County Sheriff's Office asking for patience with rescued dogs
- Cell phone reminder from Worth County Sheriff
- Worth County Sheriff: Fake $50 bills being passed throughout county
- Worth County Sheriff: Deputy nearly hit by intoxicated driver
- Post office closed in Claremont
- Worth County crash Monday morning
- 2-car accident in Worth County