CHARLES CITY, Iowa - Mary Litterer is a big believer in the power of the seat belt.
“I wouldn't be here today I don't think if I wouldn't have been wearing mine when I had my accident,” Litterer said.
Five years ago, Litterer got into an accident at the intersection of Quarry Road and the Avenue of the Saints. She says a car pulled out in front of her and she broadsided the vehicle.
“I had about 30 seconds to react and my only reaction was I needed to miss his door,” Litterer said.
It's her seat belt she thanks for keeping her inside the car. According to the Iowa Department of Transportation, last year 64 seat belt citations were issued in Floyd County. Cerro Gordo County gave out 822. In Minnesota last year 92 percent of front seat occupants were shown to be buckling up. Litterer says spreading the word to buckle up is the least she can do now.
“You have that extra insurance you might be here today,” Litterer said.
The Charles City Police Department along with Minnesota law enforcement are planning to participate in the click it or ticket campaign. In 2016, 79 people died in accidents because they were not wearing a seat belt in Minnesota.
- Woman shares story of seat belt saving her life
- Former Addicts Share Stories
- Ford recalls 2M pickup trucks; seat belts can cause fires
- Department of Public Safety releases results of seat belt enforcement
- Iowa board decides to require seat belts on school buses
- Packing life saving meals
- Sharing the story of life-saving donations: 'I've never had anybody regret donating the organs of their loved ones'
- Click it or ticket: Extra seat belt enforcement on Minnesota roads
- One Rochester woman shares her story of visiting the Southern Border
- Melanoma survivor shares story: 'It can happen to you'