NEVADA, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a woman driving slowly to protect a horse walking on the side of a road in central Iowa died and seven other people were injured when her vehicle was struck by another.
The crash occurred around 5 p.m. Saturday, just north of the Story County city of Nevada.
The Iowa State Patrol says 27-year-old Nycole Henson and another driver were driving with their emergency lights flashing when a third vehicle crashed into Henson's vehicle from behind, knocking it into a cornfield.
The third vehicle's driver and six other people were taken to an Ames hospital. He's been identified as 17-year-old Nathaniel Oberhokam.
Patrol Sgt. Nathan Ludwig says he doesn't know why the horse was being walked along the road.
- Woman killed, 7 injured in central Iowa collision
- Arrest made in deadly central Iowa collision
- North Iowa woman injured in Mower County collision
- Two injured in northeast Iowa collision
- Patrol: 2 fatally injured in northern Iowa collision
- 2 students on school bus injured in northwest Iowa collision
- 19-year-old woman hit, killed by truck in central Iowa
- Arrest made in south central Iowa killing
- Mower County woman injured in Winona County collision
- Four hurt, one killed in northwest Iowa collision