KIMT News 3 – According to a news release issued Thursday morning, Winneshiek and Howard County has agreed to use the Winneshiek County Jail to house inmates from Howard County while a new jail is being built.
They say it could be a two-year project.
The release says Winneshiek County averages 8-10 inmates, and that number will likely double with the addition from Howard County.
Howard County will pay $50 per day for each inmate. Sheriff Marx estimates the contract with Howard County could bring up to $200,000 of additional revenue into the Winneshiek County Jail.
- Winneshiek, Howard Counties strike deal to house inmates
- Howard County drivers collide in Winneshiek County
- Winneshiek County man sentenced for drug dealing
- Iowa House to decide Winneshiek County election dispute
- Final guilty plea in Winneshiek County drug house arrests
- Howard-Winneshiek schools: Teacher arrested for sexual conduct with student on administrative leave
- Cresco men collide in Winneshiek County
- Two teens killed in Winneshiek County crash
- Train and truck collide in Winneshiek County
- UPDATE: Missing Winneshiek County man found