ROCHESTER, Minn. – President Trump is scheduled to be in Rochester on Thursday and city officials are clarifying how they’ll handle the expected increase in vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
“Safety of the President, local residents, businesses, and visitors is our top priority,” says City Administrator Steve Rymer. “We expect the heaviest traffic to occur between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m., and recognize the downtown corridor will be busy throughout the day on Thursday. We thank and ask everyone for their patience and understanding of the extraordinary activities of the day.”
For the President’s visit:
- Rochester Public Transit will be free all day
- Community and visitors are encouraged to use Park & Ride locations
- Roads will be closed around Mayo Civic Center
- Library, City Hall and the Government Center will close at 3:00 p.m.
In addition, public parking ramps and lots are expected to fill early and remain full while the President is in town. Downtown commuters are encouraged to use public transit and avoid traffic delays and road closures. Congestion is expected to cause system-wide delays, especially during peak afternoon driving times.
Road closures will begin at 8:00am on Thursday and include:
- E Center Street from Civic Center Drive NE to the entrance of Mayo Field
- Civic Center Drive NE from E Center Street to 2nd Street SE
- 1st Street SE from 1st Avenue SE to Civic Center Drive NE
- 2nd Street SE from 1st Avenue SE to Civic Center Drive NE
- 3rd Avenue SE from 2nd Street SE to the entrance of the Ironwood Square Building
The pedestrian trail from E Center Street around the East side of the Mayo Civic Center will be closed to all pedestrian traffic starting at 8:00am.
The Mayo Civic Center and the Mayo Civic Center Box Office will be closed to the general public on Thursday. Only conference attendees and those visiting for business purposes will have access to the building via the skyway check-point. The following items will not be permitted in the building: bags, backpacks, large purses, umbrellas, posters, banners, signs, professional cameras with detachable lenses, tripods, monopods, selfie sticks, and GoPro cameras.
Entrance to the building for the President Trump Campaign Rally will be located off of the Riverfront Plaza, located on the south-side of Mayo Civic Center.
There may be delays for commercial flights at Rochester International Airport between approximately 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Private flights will not be permitted to operate between approximately 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Spectators will need to park in the Airport main terminal parking lot. Parking fees will apply. Please note, the general public will not be allowed within the Airport perimeter fence.
Tickets will be required to attend the President Trump Campaign Rally. Those tickets are not available at the Mayo Civic Center. More tickets have also been distributed than can fit in the Civic Center, so having a ticket is no guarantee of entrance. Once the main arena is full, ticket holders will be invited to view the speech from an overflow area. Once that space is full, no one else can be admitted.
The Secret Service will be handling screening and admitting attendees to the arena.
To get a ticket, click here.
- Cleanup after Presidential visit
- Presidential visit to Rochester highlights the battle for Congress
- Final University of Minnesota presidential candidate visits the Rochester campus
- What you need to know about the Presidential visit to Rochester
- DFL Attorney General candidate visits Rochester
- Governor-Elect Tim Walz visits Rochester
- Tim Pawlenty visits Rochester on campaign trail for Minnesota governor
- Road closures in Rochester for President Trump's visit
- People prepare for President Trump's visit in Rochester
- Rochester Public Transit sets a new record during President's visit