LU VERNE, Iowa - A 43-year-old Algona woman was shot and killed during a bank robbery Wednesday morning at Security State Bank in a small town in northern Iowa.
The Kossuth County Sheriff's Office said Jessica Weishaar was killed during the shooting just before 9 a.m. in Lu Verne, a town of around 250 people.
Weishaar was an employee of the bank, authorities said.
Law enforcement says it was able to identify a suspect and a vehicle from video surveillance and eyewitness statements and stopped a vehicle at the 158-mile marker of Interstate-35. A suspect in a vehicle was detained while the investigation continues. His identity has not been released.
The Kossuth County Sheriff’s Office says it believes there is no on-going threat to the public. Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 515-295-3514.
Mitch Mortvedt of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said the victim was “just walking into the bank” when she was shot.
“Law enforcement from all levels responded,” Mortvedt said.
The Iowa DCI, Kossuth, Hancock, Humboldt and Winnebago County Sheriff's Office, Algona police, Algona EMS, Lu Verne fire, Mercy-Aid Med, and the Iowa State Patrol all assisted.
Lu Verne Elementary School and West Hancock schools were placed in lockdown on Wednesday morning. West Hancock schools said it was due to a pursuit in the Hancock County area involving a person that “may be armed and dangerous.”
“We are sheltering down as a precaution. All exterior doors have been double-checked and no one will be allowed to enter or leave the buildings until further notice,” West Hancock schools said.
West Hancock's lockdown ended before 11 a.m.
Lu Verne schools said its lockdown lasted approximately 45 minutes after it started.
“This is always a scary situation for everyone in a school and community. We have procedures in place for these situations and will re-evaluate them. Please keep everyone in your thoughts!,” the school stated.
- Algona woman killed in Lu Verne bank robbery; suspect taken into custody on I-35
- Algona superintendent resigns
- Abduction attempt reported in Algona
- Coralville man charged with murder, robbery that left Algona woman dead
- Local union gives to Algona Manor residents
- Minnesota woman killed in I-35 crash in north Iowa
- Small community shocked by Howard Co. bank robbery; suspect in custody
- UPDATE: Suspect arrested in Florida bank killings
- UPDATE: Armed robbery suspect in custody in Rochester
- Car/deer accident blocked I-35