BRITT, Iowa – With colder temperatures beginning to settle into the area, State Semifinal qualifiers are looking forward to playing in a much warmer UNI-Dome later this week.
One of those teams is the West Hancock Eagles.
The team is making its first trip back to the UNI-Dome since 2011, where it was runner-up to Lisbon by two points.
While the players are excited to be at this point, they acknowledge there is still work to be done.
“We feel like if we don’t make mistakes and we just play our game we’re going to win,” said tight end, Caleb Eckels.
“Taking care of the ball, wrapping up on defense, and run through them,” added Eckels.
As a safety, Bennett Bruns is taking a similar approach.
“Staying on our blocks and it’s going to be doing the stuff we’ve done all year and treating it like a normal game,” said Bruns.
For another senior, it’s the opportunity to complete a mission.
“Obviously the first goal is to win the district and the main goal is to always go to state,” said Gavin Becker. “We’ve accomplished one of those goals and now that we’re at state the biggest goal – winning a state championship.”
West Hancock (9-2) will play Hudson (11-0) at the University of Northern Iowa in the semifinals at 10 AM on Oct. 9.
- West Hancock makes first semifinal appearance since 2011
- Updates: West Hancock playing in Class A semifinals
- West Hancock advances, St. Ansgar falls in state semifinals
- SAW: West Hancock's MaCoy Yeakel
- SAW: West Hancock's Rachel Leerar
- SAW: West Hancock's Mahayla Faust
- SAW: West Hancock's Amanda Chizek
- West Hancock's Hagen taking aim at gold
- West Hancock wrestling's ranked cousin duo
- Former West Hancock star getting NFL shot