FARIBAULT COUNTY, Minn. – The National Weather Service says a there was a brief and weak tornado touch down just east of Minnesota Lake on Friday.
This “landspout” tornado happened around 2:40 pm. They are narrow funnels that form while a thunderstorm is still grown and the spinning begins near the ground instead of in the sky. Experts say this land version of a waterspout generally does not cause any damage.
- Weak tornado confirmed in southern Minnesota
- UPDATE: Tornadoes confirmed across southern Minnesota
- Sheriff: Confirmed cougar sighting in southern Minnesota
- Tornado Watch issued for many north Iowa, southern Minnesota counties
- Body found in southern Minnesota
- Fatal deer disease confirmed in southeastern Minnesota
- Significant damage as tornadoes touch down in north Iowa, southern Minnesota (with videos, photos)
- Tornado, storms cause damage in southwestern Minnesota
- Chase and arrest in southern MInnesota
- Arrest in southern Minnesota drug raid