DECORAH, Iowa – Two Waterloo men are charged with stealing from Alliant Energy in Winneshiek County.
Ryan Robert Tovar, 34, is accused of 1st degree theft and 3rd degree burglary. Kevin Lee Gates, 42, is accused of 1st degree theft. Authorities say they stole over $10,000 worth of electric wire, several drop cords, tools, bolt cutters, and a wire cutter from Alliant Energy Trucks that were in the parking lot of Mihm Brothers in Fort Atkinson. Those thefts occurred around 2:17 am on December 4, 2017.
According to the criminal complaint, Tovar was stopped on January 24 in Black Hawk County while driving a truck identified in several videos from multiple burglaries in northeast Iowa. Authorities say Tovar confessed that he and gates committed several thefts together and took most of the items to Alter Metal Recycling.
Gates was picked up on a warrant on March 16 in Black Hawk County and Tovar was arrested on March 23 in Bremer County. Both men have been transferred to the Winneshiek County Jail.
- Waterloo men accused of Winneshiek County theft
- Third Waterloo man charged in Winneshiek County theft
- Cresco men collide in Winneshiek County
- Waterloo duo arrested for Worth County car theft
- Howard County drivers collide in Winneshiek County
- Battle of Waterloo preview
- Two teens killed in Winneshiek County crash
- Train and truck collide in Winneshiek County
- UPDATE: Missing Winneshiek County man found
- Winneshiek County farmer admits to animal neglect