CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - Iowa State Trooper Justin Kane says his act of kindness he performed on Interstate-35 near the Mason City/Clear Lake exit is one he's very humbled about. But for the woman that captured it all on video, she can't thank him enough.
What was meant to be a day of just people watching became a day Mallory Lubbock won't forget.
“I realized, I squinted my eyes and realized he was shoveling her out and it was amazing,” Lubbock said.
Lubbock captured video of Trooper Kane shoveling a seven-month pregnant woman out of the snow March 24. There was a tow ban in place due to the road and weather conditions. That left Kane having to make a quick decision to help or not. He says whenever they can dig someone out safely and not have them have to pay a tow fee, it’s worth it.
“I was just so shocked. I was sitting here shaking. I was like 'this was awesome, glad it happened right here so I could capture it,'” Lubbock said.
Lubbock lives right off I-35 and says she's never seen an act of kindness like this right outside her door. More than 900 shares later, her video is going viral.
“Whenever I see law enforcement on the news, a lot of the time it’s so negative. And I have family members, friends that have family members, friends who are in law enforcement that would do anything for anybody. I wanted people to know they're real people, they want to go home at the end of the day, just like we do,” Lubbock said.
Kane ended up digging five cars out of the snow that Saturday. That included digging his own vehicle out toward the end of his shift.
- Watch: Iowa State Patrol trooper lends helping hand to stuck motorist
- Food drive lends a helping hand to government employees
- Iowa State Patrol negotiators win competition
- Minnesota State Patrol recruiting troopers, no law enforcement experience needed
- YSS Francis Lauer expands with Gov. Reynolds lending a helping hand
- Minnesota state patrol issues hundreds of hands-free citations
- MN National Guard called out to assist motorists stuck in the snow
- Iowa State Patrol goes the extra mile to help north Iowa family in need of medication
- Southern MN trooper suffers minor injuries when squad car hit while assisting motorist
- Iowa State Patrol says expect winter conditions on roads