ST. PAUL, Minn. – Minnesotans are being warned about people pretending to represent a health insurance company that no longer does business in the state.
Premier Health Plan announced in 2018 that it had discontinued all of its health insurance products in Minnesota and across the country, including Medicare Advantage plans. But the Minnesota Commerce Department is receiving reports of automated phone calls pretending to sell Premier Health Plan insurance.
Officials say anyone who expresses interest in buying health insurance is asked for their bank account information. They are then sent phony bills and see unauthorized charges show up on their bank account statements.
The Commerce Department says it would like to remind people:
- If you receive an automated call, don’t say anything and hang up.
- Don’t answer calls from an unknown number or pay an invoice from a company you don’t have an insurance policy with.
- If you answered a call that you believe was a scam, write the number down and report it to the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) or ftc.gov/complaint.
- Never give personal or financial information to someone you don’t know over the phone.
- Regularly review your bank account and credit card statements and report unauthorized charges to your financial institution.
Anyone who has been contacted about buying Premier Health Plan insurance or any other suspicious insurance offer can contact the Commerce Department’s Consumer Services Center by email at email@example.com or by calling 651-539-1600 or 800-657-3602.
- Warning about phony health insurance calls in Minnesota
- Police warning about phony jury duty calls
- Warning about phony calls from 'Iowa State Police'
- Bank saves Austin woman from phony phone call
- New high for health insurance sign-up in Minnesota
- Bitter health insurance debate erupts in Minnesota House
- Salmonella warning for Minnesota
- Iowans can now buy cheaper health insurance
- Health insurance enrollment starts Nov. 1st
- Presentation helps people understand health insurance