MASON CITY, Iowa - A man wanted for leaving a residential treatment facility and not coming back is in custody.
According to the Cerro Gordo County Jail inmate list, Matthew Andersen was booked at 8:51 p.m. Tuesday night and is being held on $100,000 bond.
Andersen was taken into custody without incident Tuesday night in Clear Lake at 1st Ave. S and S. 8th St., according to the Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office.
Authorities said Andersen left BeJe Clark Residential Facility last Wednesday and did not return.
Cerro Gordo County Deputy Lewis Bram says that this sort of thing can happen.
"From time to time, we run into people all the time that just don't return to BeJe. It could be because they would fail a drug screening upon their return, and knowing that they would fail that screening, they decide not to come back. Or it could be because they wanted to see a family member and were not allowed to so they decided to take off."
He adds that he doesn't want to see those who are going through the program get into more trouble, but understands that the law must be enforced.
"It does offer people that have been convicted an opportunity that get reintegrated back into the community. But if they don't abide by the terms of that reintegration, they're going to get arrested again and face the consequences."
Andersen was serving a sentence for domestic abuse assault and other counts in Cerro Gordo County, and is now facing a felony count of escape from custody. He was admitted to the work release facility on Feb. 27.
In a statement from Iowa Department of Corrections Communications Director Cord Overton, he says that upon an arrest, the department begins a review of the case to determine the appropriate course of action.
- Wanted Mason City man back in custody
- City Administrator wants RAGBRAI back in Mason City
- Police: Man wanted in connection to Mason City homicide taken into custody
- Police: Wanted Mason City man taken into custody after foot pursuit
- Mason City man facing back-to-back trials
- Mason City man wanted for months turns himself in
- Police: Wanted Mason City man arrested after abusing woman
- Police: Wanted Mason City man arrested after tussling with officer
- Wanted Mason City man found, arrested for allegedly stealing vehicle
- Mason City mall owners pay back taxes