ROCHESTER, Minn. - Candidates are kicking their campagins into high gear, trying to win over voters in the last few weeks of election season.
On Sunday, voters got the opportunity to learn more about Democratic candidate for Minnesota's first congressional district, Dan Feehan.
It was a listening session hosted by a number of organizations including Faith in Minnesota, Communities United for Rochester Empowerment (CURE), SEIU Heatlhcare and The Sierra Club, which endorsed the candidate in September.
At the event, Feehan shared his views on topics from community members including climate change, affordable housing, and immigration. When asked by the audience he also remarked on the recent confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court.
"That is how we handled a victim coming forward, was what happened in the last two weeks," Feehan said. "And that in no shape or form is what I believe to be a good process moving forward."
Sunday's listening session was scheduled to be a debate between Feehan and his GOP opponent, Jim Hagedorn. Hagedorn is defending his decision not to participate. In a statement to KIMT, he had this to say about his competitor's campagin:
"They prefer to limit their debate appearances to left-leaning groups in and around Rochester. We do not think this is the best way for the most people across this large, 21-county district to have access to the candidates."
"When I found out my opponent wasn't going to be here, I was unsurprised but alarmed," Feehan said. "It's unfortunate he didn't take the opportunity to hear directly from the people he is hoping to be his constituents."
While Hagedorn may still be riding the coattails of President Trump's visit to Rochester last week, Feehan said he's not too concerned.
"I believe people are looking for an independent voice and nothing that happened on Thursday made me change that belief," he said.
To learn more about Dan Feehan, click here.
To learn more about Jim Hagedorn, click here.
- Voters learn more about congressional district 1 candidate Dan Feehan.
- Dan Feehan serves at local soup kitchen
- Feehan finally concedes in Congressional race
- Updated MN results: Hagedorn edges Feehan in District 1
- Feehan says he'll challenge Hagedorn again in Minnesota's 1st District
- Candidate for 1st Congressional Districts stops in north Iowa
- Hagedorn and Feehan square off in debate
- Congressional candidate Hagedorn talks national security
- Candidate for Iowa's 4th Congressional District race makes Mason City stop
- Republican candidates work to energize voters