It resembles a traditional job fair, only instead of employees local organizations are looking for volunteers during an in-demand season.
During a volunteer fair at NIACC Tuesday, people who have a desire to help out in the community were able to talk with a number of organizations to find the right fit for them. Several companies tell KIMT, during the winter and holiday season, the need for volunteers goes up. That is partially due to their volunteers spending the winter down south or the number of people in need rising.
That's why people like Georgina Chenoweth are looking to help out.
“People need help and I guess I like to help. I’m one of those people who feel fulfilled when I help people so that's why I want to volunteer,” says Chenoweth.
One organization particularly in need this holiday season is the Salvation Army. They are already busy recruiting volunteers for bell ringing or helping with the annual Toys for Tots campaign. They say they'll take as many volunteers as they can get.
As for Chenoweth, she says she really connected with a few organizations and could see herself and her husband volunteering for them very soon.
- Volunteers needed during winter season
- Stars Mentoring Program in need of volunteers
- Volunteer firefighters needed in north Iowa
- Iowa wild turkey survey needs volunteers
- Salvation Army Warming Center Needs Volunteers
- Volunteers needed to monitor Minnesota water quality
- Bicyclist volunteers needed for Med City Marathon
- Fat biking season perfect for winter weather
- Habitat for Humanity volunteers pushing through winter weather
- Helping with emergency heating needs this winter