SEVERE WX: Winter Weather Advisory View Alerts
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Unattended candle causes fire in Albert Lea

The residents were not home at the time and it was reported by a family member who was checking on a cat.

Posted: Dec. 18, 2017 8:54 AM

Albert Lea, Minn. – A kitchen fire Friday night in Albert Lea caused around $8,000 in damage.
According to the Albert Lea Fire Department, an unattended candle was the reason for the fire, which happened at a home at 1004 Ulstad Ave.
The residents were not home at the time and it was reported by a family member who was checking on a cat.
Fire and law personnel arrived and found blackened windows and light smoke showing.
Fire crews were on scene for around two hours, and the fire was contained primarily to the kitchen.

Article Comments

Mason City
Overcast
18° wxIcon
Hi: 23° Lo: 7°
Feels Like: 5°
Albert Lea
Overcast
16° wxIcon
Hi: 22° Lo: 4°
Feels Like: 6°
Austin
Clear
18° wxIcon
Hi: 27° Lo: 7°
Feels Like: 9°
Charles City
Overcast
19° wxIcon
Hi: 24° Lo: 9°
Feels Like: 8°
Rochester
Overcast
17° wxIcon
Hi: 23° Lo: 5°
Feels Like: 5°
Tracking below average air and more snow chances.
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Pancake breakfast helps legacy of two Rochester students live on

Image

Strike Out Homelessness

Image

How to fight the flu with peak of season possibly coming soon

Image

Iowa and Minnesota seeing low flu activity

Image

11th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Poetry contest

Image

Testing water for Nitrates

Image

Wrestling state championship

Image

Highlights: Grizzlies host Pink in the Rink night

Image

Prep basketball highlights: Iowa girls regionals

Image

Amy Klobuchar stops in Mason City

Community Events