CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) — Xavior Williams returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown with 23 seconds left in the game to put the finishing touches on Northern Iowa's 24-9 upset win over South Dakota State in Missouri Valley Football Conference play on Saturday.
Eli Dunne passed for 172 yards and a TD and Marcus Weymiller rushed for 108 yards on 20 carries for the Panthers (4-3, 3-1 MVFC), who shut down the Jackrabbits (4-2, 2-2) and the MVFC's top-ranked offense. South Dakota State, ranked third in the FCS coaches' poll, and averaging 530 yards and 48 points per game on offense, managed just 51 yards rushing and 376 total yards.
Chase Vinatieri gave the Jackrabbits a 3-0 first-quarter lead on a 37-yard field goal, but Dunne's 27-yard scoring strike to Jalen Rima in the second quarter put UNI up 7-3 at halftime.
Trevor Allen's 1-yard TD plunge pushed the Panthers' lead to 14-3 after three quarters.
Vinatieri connected on 47- and 57-yard field goal in the fourth quarter to pull SDSU within 14-9. Austin Errthum's 32-yard field goal pushed the Panthers' lead back to eight and Williams' pick-6 sealed the victory.
Taryn Christion threw for 325 yards and two interceptions for the Jacks. Cade Johnson finished with seven catches for 121 yards.
- UNI upsets South Dakota State, 24-9
- UNI spanked by South Dakota State, 38-7
- UNI roars past South Dakota, 42-27
- UNI downs Illinois State, 26-16
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- UNI trounced by Youngstown State, 31-10
- UNI holds off Indiana State, 17-9
- Stony Brook beats UNI, 73-63
- 9 dead in South Dakota plane crash
- Updates from the UNI-Dome: Rockford rolls in state semifinal