BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) — Keaton Heide was 15-of-16 passing with two touchdowns, the defense forced two turnovers and South Dakota State overwhelmed Northern Iowa 38-7 on Saturday in a battle of top 10 FCS teams.
The Jackrabbits were clinging to a 17-7 lead entering the fourth quarter before breaking the game open. Don Gardner had a 24-yard fumble return after Tolu Ogunrinde’s defensive stop, Cade Johnson had a 20-yard touchdown reception set up by an interception and backup quarterback Kanin Nelson had a 12-yard TD run.
For the ninth-ranked Jackrabbits (8-3, 5-2 Missouri Valley Conference) it was their third straight home game against a ranked opponent but the first they won. They piled up 337 yards of offense; 196 on Heide’s arm. Johnson had six catches for 134 yards.
No. 5-ranked Northern Iowa (7-4, 5-2) had its four-game winning streak snapped. Will McElvain was 12 of 24 for 85 yards with three interceptions.
- UNI spanked by South Dakota State, 38-7
- UNI upsets South Dakota State, 24-9
- UNI roars past South Dakota, 42-27
- UNI downs Illinois State, 26-16
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- UNI trounced by Youngstown State, 31-10
- UNI holds off Indiana State, 17-9
- Stony Brook beats UNI, 73-63
- 9 dead in South Dakota plane crash
- Updates from the UNI-Dome: Rockford rolls in state semifinal