CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) — Austin Errthum kicked four consecutive first-half field goals, the longest from 43-yards out, to stake Northern Iowa to a 19-3 halftime lead and spark the Panthers to a 26-16 win over Illinois State in a Missouri Valley Conference showdown Saturday.
After JT Bohlken converted from 27-yards out on the Redbirds opening possession, Errthum capped three of UNI's next four drives with field goals, hitting from 30, 30, 27 and 43 yards.
Duncan Ferch picked off a Jake Kolbe pass and returned it 31 yards for a touchdown to make it 19-3 at intermission, and Marcus Weymiller scored from 14-yards out to make it 26-3.
Kolbe threw a pair of fourth-quarter touchdown passes for Illinois State (5-4, 2-4) and finished 21 of 27 for 180 yards.
Eli Dunne was 17-of-32 passing for 262 yards for Northern Iowa (5-4, 4-2) and Weymiller finished with 109 yards on 30 carries.
- UNI downs Illinois State, 26-16
- UNI defeated by Western Illinois, 37-17
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- UNI upsets South Dakota State, 24-9
- UNI trounced by Youngstown State, 31-10
- Stony Brook beats UNI, 73-63
- Updates from the UNI-Dome: Rockford rolls in state semifinal
- UNI loses in quarterfinals of 'Arch Madness'
- Furious comeback falls short for UNI
- UPDATE: UNI worker killed by steam leak is identified