MACOMB, Ill. (AP) — Sean McGuire threw for two touchdowns, both to Isaiah LeSure, and Western Illinois beat Northern Iowa 37-17 on Saturday.
McGuire had 300 yards passing for the Leathernecks (4-4, 3-2 Missouri Valley Football Conference). LeSure finished with 164 yards receiving. Max Norris had two rushing touchdowns and Steve McShane ran for a score.
Norris ran for his first touchdown from the 1 early in the second quarter to give Western Illinois a 7-3 lead. The Panthers (4-4, 3-2) went ahead on an Eli Dunne scoring pass to Marcus Weymiller, but McGuire put the Leathernecks back on top with a 69-yard touchdown throw to LeSure to make it 14-10 with 11:41 left in the half. Later, linebacker Pete Swenson sacked Dunne in the Panthers end zone for a Leathernecks safety and they led 16-10 at halftime.
Northern Iowa struggled throughout the second half as the Leathernecks scored three more touchdowns, including McShane's short rushing score for a 37-10 advantage with 5:59 left.
Dunne finished with 218 yards and a score passing for the Panthers.
- UNI defeated by Western Illinois, 37-17
- UNI downs Illinois State, 26-16
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- Stony Brook beats UNI, 73-63
- UNI loses in quarterfinals of 'Arch Madness'
- Furious comeback falls short for UNI
- UNI upsets South Dakota State, 24-9
- UNI trounced by Youngstown State, 31-10
- UPDATE: UNI worker killed by steam leak is identified
- UNI opens Missouri Valley Football Conference play with win