UPDATE: The Superintendent of Mabel-Canton Schools, Gary Kuphal, released the following statement in response to Monday's accident:
"The staff at Mabel Canton Schools along with area clergy were available for students today and will continue to be available. Please look for the attachment that was emailed out about dealing with loss provided by our school psychologist. As a general rule routine is good for our children please encourage your children to come to school to be with and support their friends."
DECORAH, Iowa – A two-vehicle crash in Winneshiek County has killed two teenagers and injured four others.
The Iowa State Patrol says it happened around 8:30 am Monday on County Road W40, about ½ mile south of 173rd Avenue. 17-year-old Avery Arneson of Decorah was driving north in a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero and 15-year-old Gage Dahlberg of Decorah was driving south in a 2008 Ford F150. The State Patrol says Arneson lost control, crossed the center line and slid sideways. Dahlberg’s pickup truck smashed into the passenger side of Arenson’s car.
Avery Arneson and a passenger, 13-year-old Aiden Arneson, were killed. Three other passengers with Arneson, 14-year-old Alexander Arneson, 14-year-old James Arneson, and 15-year-old Jack Arneson, were all injured. Dahlberg was also hurt in the crash.
Alexander Arneson was taken to Gundersen Clinic in Decorah. All others were transported to Winneshiek Medical Center.
- Two teens killed in Winneshiek County crash
- Second guilty verdict in Winneshiek County killing
- 1 seriously injured in Winneshiek County crash
- Rochester driver crashes in Winneshiek County
- Driver identified in deadly Winneshiek County crash
- Cresco man sentenced for Winneshiek County crash
- Howard County drivers collide in Winneshiek County
- Minnesota man sentenced for fatal Winneshiek County crash
- Cresco men collide in Winneshiek County
- Train and truck collide in Winneshiek County