INDIANOLA, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say at least two bicyclists participating in a cross-Iowa ride have been injured in a crash.
Indianola police say a 22-year-old woman and a 57-year-old man crashed Tuesday afternoon as they rode down a hill. Indianola police Capt. Brian Sher says the riders apparently "got tangled up," went off their bikes, hit the pavement and were seriously injured.
Their names haven't been released. They were sent to Des Moines hospitals for treatment.
The two had reached Tuesday's destination of Indianola as part of the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, or RAGBRAI. The ride began Sunday in Council Bluffs and is scheduled to end Saturday in Keokuk.
Wednesday's route takes riders from Indianola to Centerville.
- Two injured in RAGBRAI crash
- 2019 RAGBRAI Route announced
- RAGBRAI announces route for 2018
- Could RAGBRAI return to Mason City?
- RAGBRAI organizers split from Des Moines Register
- Iowa's Ride rescheduled to avoid RAGBRAI standoff
- Trooper: RAGBRAI begins with someone placing nails on highways
- City Administrator wants RAGBRAI back in Mason City
- Clear Lake could support Mason City's bid for RAGBRAI stop
- Cycling community reacts on RAGBRAI organizers resigning from Register to form Iowa's Ride