WAUKON, Iowa – A northeast Iowa man accused of killing his step-father is pleading not guilty.
John Michael Quanrude, 32 of Waukon, is charged with 2nd degree murder and his trial is scheduled to begin on June 6 in Allamakee County District Court after Quanrude demanded a speedy trial.
Authorities say Quanrude shot Dean Elliot Russell, 60, on April 16 in a mobile home at the Parkview Trailer Court in Waukon. Russell was taken to the hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.
Quanrude reportedly called 911 and asked for medical help after an accidental shooting. Russell’s body was found lying face down inside a trailer with a gunshot wound to the chest.
In addition to being Quanrude’s step-father, authorities say Russell was also his roommate.
- Trial set in fatal northeast Iowa shooting
- Trial set in northeast Iowa drug case
- Trial set in Rochester shooting
- Trial set in fatal Hancock County crash
- May trial set for northeast Iowa man accused of killing wife
- Trial set in North Iowa check forgery
- River warning in northeast Iowa
- Manure spill in northeast Iowa
- "Movie money" trial set
- Man's trial in former Iowa State golfer's slaying moved to northeast Iowa