UPDATE: A jury has been seated in the 2nd degree murder trial of Larry Whaley. 12 jurors and 2 alternates were selected Monday and opening arguments are expected to being Tuesday.
Previous story below
MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) — A Mason City man accused of killing a 19-year-old woman is scheduled to go to trial on Monday.
Sixty-one-year-old Larry Whaley is charged with second-degree murder in the December 2016 death of Samantha Teeter.
Prosecutors say Whaley shot Teeter in the head through his apartment door.
In letters he sent to a judge, Whaley claimed he fired into the door because he believed two people he knew were breaking into his apartment.
Whaley said Teeter was not one of those two people and her death was an accident.
- UPDATE: Jury selected in Mason City murder trial
- Jury selected to hear murder trial of ex-Minneapolis officer
- Mason City murder trial delayed again
- Mason City murder trial is postponed
- UPDATE: Trial date set in Mason City double murder case
- Jury selection begins in former Minneapolis officer's trial
- Illinois murder trial set for Mason City man
- Mason City murder trial scheduled to begin today
- Fort Dodge murder trial moved to Mason City
- Separate trials for Mason City duo