FOREST CITY, Iowa - If you're heading to the Tree Town Music Festival this Memorial Day weekend, be prepared for a change in security.
Organizers are implementing a 'clear bag' policy, which bars large purses, backpacks and coolers from entering the concert area at Heritage Park. Concertgoers can bring in a clear bag that is no bigger than 14'' by 17'', as well as one-gallon freezer bags, and small clutches and purses. Organizers say that the policy will easy security searches and speed up entry into the event, which has grown in attendance in recent years.
Karla Schaefer has gone to every Tree Town festival since it began in 2013, and is not in favor of the new policy, particularly regarding privacy.
"I just don't want everybody knowing what I got in my bag. Not that there's anything to hide, it's just I don't want them seeing my wallet and knowing that 'hey, I could grab that,'" Schaefer says.
In addition, she believes that security is already well covered.
"They do such a great job at looking in our bags...and they feel and they check. And I think that they do a really great job in trying to prevent any of that from happening," Schaefer adds.
The policy was inspired by arenas and football stadiums across North America.
- Tree Town enacting new 'clear bag' policy
- Tree Town founders sued in Florida
- Lineup for 2019 Tree Town Festival announced
- Clear Lake man who crashed into trees is sentenced
- Authorities identify woman killed in Mitchell County tree-clearing accident
- Another lawsuit filed against Tree Town festival founders
- Tree Town founders fire back in federal court
- Federal lawsuit against Tree Town founders is halted
- Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa enacting visitor restrictions due to flu concerns
- Sand bags available in Garner