ALBERT LEA, Minn.- After months of discussion, the age to buy tobacco in Albert Lea is going up.
It's all in an effort to curb teens vaping and using e-cigarettes.
This week, the city council passed an ordinance prohibiting the sales of tobacco to individuals under 21.
Tuyreace Derry is a college student and he doesn't really think the ordinance will change much.
“I mean, if you're 18 you should kind of be able to have your own say on everything but I guess it should be up to the buyer,” said Derry.
If you're 18 or older, it won't be illegal to have tobacco products in your possession. You just won't be able to buy them. The ordinance starts May 1.
- Albert Lea Tobacco 21 Ordinance starts Wednesday
- Tobacco ordinance passes in Albert Lea, starts May 1
- 25 Albert Lea stores pass tobacco compliance check
- Conversation about raising the tobacco age begins in Albert Lea
- Albert Lea stabber sentenced
- Albert Lea police investigate shooting
- Albert Lea's Glazier picks Iowa
- Camper fire in Albert Lea
- Prison for Albert Lea burglar
- Art installation in Albert lea