MANTORVILLE, Minn. – A 19-year-old woman has been sentenced for a fatal crash.
Candace Marie Utech was originally charged with criminal vehicular homicide and reckless driving for the rollover accident on December 18, 2015. The Minnesota State Patrol says Utech, then 17, was driving around 90 miles an hour when she lost control in the area of 275th Avenue and 545th Street in Dodge County. Utech’s vehicle rolled for 160 feet and three teenage passengers were ejected.
One of them, 18-year-old Logan Matthew Maas of Dodge Center, was pronounced dead at the scene. The other passengers suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Authorities say Utech admitted to driving at a high rate of speed over what she called “whoopee hill” to create a feeling like a roller coaster. Utech also reportedly said she had driven over the hill two previous times that evening before the fatal crash.
In July, Utech pleaded guilty to reckless driving. On Wednesday, she was sentenced to supervised probation until her 21st birthday and must perform 100 hours of community work service.
- Teen sentenced for deadly Dodge County rollover
- Teen hurt in Dodge County rollover
- Rollover crash in Dodge County
- Charges filed in deadly Dodge County collision
- Chainsaw thief sentenced in Dodge County
- 1 injured after Dodge County rollover Monday morning
- Fillmore County teen injured in rollover
- Dodge County man sentenced for Mower County threats
- Dodge Center man sentenced for drunken crash
- Sentencing set for Dodge/Olmsted county sex abuse