AUSTIN, Minn- There's a nationwide teacher shortage and it's impacting our area.
According to Education Minnesota since 2009 there’s been a 46 percent increase in teachers leaving the industry. Carol Anfinson is a retired teacher and has two daughters who are educators. She understands the struggles teachers face including the financial aspect.
“I have a daughter that is a single mother and in order for her to have a good home environment and be able to support her family she has to have two jobs," Anfinson said.
The average teacher salary in Minnesota is $60,000. Teachers in Iowa makes roughly $10,000 less.
- Teacher Shortage across the board
- High school course addresses teacher shortage
- Pilot shortage concerns travelers
- Communities feeling firefighter shortage
- Rideshare shortage in Rochester
- Addressing the childcare shortage
- Teacher removed from Minnesota board over Trump comments
- Local school combats nursing shortage
- Mitchell County facing doctor shortage
- Addressing Workforce Shortage in Minnesota