ROCHESTER, Minn. - October 11th is known as 'Coming Out Day,' a day to support and celebrate people who have told, are going to tell, or aren't ready to tell their friends, families, and others about their sexual identity or orientation.
At University of Minnesota Rochester, students wrote positive messages on a board to help their LGBT classmates feel empowered and welcome on campus.
"We're like a small community here so just at the school itself we all know each other so it's really important. This is like a crucial time in people's lives. College is stressful as it is, and to have other factors like that, its good to have people here in support," explains student Kaitlyn Long, who wrote an encouraging message on the board for her peers.
This year is National Coming Out Day's 30th anniversary.
- UMR students celebrate National Coming Out Day
- UMR Chancellor Inaugurated
- Students celebrating Reformation Day
- Mayo medical students celebrate Match Day
- Hayfield celebrates National FFA Week
- Austin celebrates Citizenship day
- Rochester celebrates Arbor Day.
- UMR Sexual Assault Awareness Group strives to bring attention to the issue
- National Wear Red Day
- National Puppy Day