STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Sunday fire in Austin

Authorities say no one was injured.

Posted: Dec 11, 2017 3:29 PM
Updated: Dec 11, 2017 3:31 PM

AUSTIN, Minn. – A family is safe after a Sunday fire.

The Austin Fire Department says it happened in the 500 block of 3rd Avenue and was apparently caused by a child playing with a lighter. Three adults and two children who were home at the time of the fire got out safely. About $15,000 in damage was done to the home and its contents. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Austin Fire Chief James McCoy says people need to remember to check their smoke alarms and replace the batteries if needed, without removing them from the ceiling if possible.

Article Comments

Mason City
Broken Clouds
71° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 71°
Albert Lea
Scattered Clouds
70° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 70°
Austin
Broken Clouds
70° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 70°
Charles City
Scattered Clouds
70° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 70°
Rochester
Overcast
65° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 65°
Tracking our severe weather threat for the end of the week
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

${article.thumbnail.title}

Storm Team 3: Watch for severe storms the next two days

Image

Tracking Thick AM Fog & Severe Weather

${article.thumbnail.title}

StormTeam 3: Tracking our severe weather threats

Image

Moffitt benefits from penalty

Image

Ball makes MiLB debut

Image

Charles City vs. Central Springs

Image

SAW: Austin's Teyghan Hovland

Image

Hemp farmer charged

Image

Discussing a big expansion

Image

Developing story: Hemp farmer charged

Community Events