AUSTIN, Minn. – A family is safe after a Sunday fire.
The Austin Fire Department says it happened in the 500 block of 3rd Avenue and was apparently caused by a child playing with a lighter. Three adults and two children who were home at the time of the fire got out safely. About $15,000 in damage was done to the home and its contents. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Austin Fire Chief James McCoy says people need to remember to check their smoke alarms and replace the batteries if needed, without removing them from the ceiling if possible.
- Sunday fire in Austin
- Sunday morning fire destroys Austin house
- Austin convenience store was robbed Sunday night
- Austin teen hurt in Sunday crash
- Man arrested after Austin garage fire
- Small kitchen fire in Austin extinguished quickly
- Police investigate shots fired in Austin
- SAW: Austin soccer
- SAW: Austin's Tate Hebrink