STORM LAKE, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say an arrest has been made after racist graffiti was found scrawled on several residence hall doors Buena Vista University in northwestern Iowa.
The Des Moines Register reports that a racial slur was written last week on the door of African American students, "illegal" was written on the door of a Latino student and "KKK" and a swastika were left on the door of white students.
Storm Lake police say Ryan Bills, a 19-year-old student from Las Vegas, has been arrested and charged with two counts of criminal mischief as a hate crime, a serious misdemeanor.
Bills' attorney did not immediately return a message Wednesday seeking comment.
A school spokeswoman says Buena Vista President Joshua Merchant and other administrators met with the targeted students on Monday.
- Student arrested for racist graffiti in college dorm
- Vulgar graffiti underneath bridge in SE Minnesota
- Multiple NIACC students rescue man who fell in pond near dorms
- Plea deal in NIACC dorm room sex abuse case
- Police say missing Utah college student was killed, man arrested
- Search continues for missing Iowa college student
- Discussing mental health with college students
- College students connect with new mentors
- Riverland Community College students expanding food pantry
- College professor arrested in Rochester prostitution sting