CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) — Andrew Garcia scored 24 points and Stony Brook won its school-record 12th nonconference game, pulling away from Northern Iowa, 73-63 Saturday night in their final contest before opening America East play.
The Seawolves (12-3) already set the school's record as a Division I school with 11 nonconference wins with a 76-73 victory over Quinnipiac. Stony Brook opens conference play Saturday at UMass-Lowell.
Wyatt Lohaus scored at the basket as time expired in the first half to get Northern Iowa within two at the break 36-34. The Seawolves answered to start the second half. Andrew Garcia drilled a 3 seconds into the period and Jeff Otchere dunked to make it 41-34. Garcia hit the second of two free throws and followed it with a jumper seconds later to push Stony Brook's lead into double figures, 56-46 midway through the second half, and Jules Moor hit a 3 to make it a 13-point bulge.
Garcia was 9-for-9 from the field, including 4 of 4 from distance. Jules Moor added 14 points off the bench.
Lohaus hit 5 of 9 from beyond the arc and finished with 23 points for Northern Iowa (5-8).
- Stony Brook beats UNI, 73-63
- Weiskamp leads Iowa over Northwestern 73-63
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- UNI downs Illinois State, 26-16
- UNI loses in quarterfinals of 'Arch Madness'
- Furious comeback falls short for UNI
- UNI upsets South Dakota State, 24-9
- UNI defeated by Western Illinois, 37-17
- UNI trounced by Youngstown State, 31-10
- UNI roars past South Dakota, 42-27