DES MOINES, Iowa – A convicted North Iowa burglar and sex offender will have their cases heard by the Iowa Supreme Court.
The Court says it will review the appeals of Sean David Gordon, 27 of Charles City, and Montez Javon Lamont Guise, 27 of Mason City.
Gordon was charged in October 2016 and sentenced in March 2017 for 3rd degree sexual abuse. Authorities say Gordon sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl in June 2016 when Gordon was 23 years old. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Guise was charged in January 2017 and sentenced in March that same year for 2nd degree burglary. Law enforcement says he forced his way into a Mason City home on New Year’s Eve 2016 and prevented two people inside the home from leaving. Montez was sentenced to 10 years in prison as well.
No hearing dates have been assigned for either appeal.
The Iowa Supreme Court is also announcing it will not hear appeals from Anthony Gerard Schmitz, 44 of Ionia, and Michael Jon Winters, 64 of Rockford.
Schmitz was sentenced in July 2017 to 10 years in prison for child endangerment resulting in serious injury. Floyd County authorities say Schmitz was driving under the influence of drugs on December 20, 2016, when he crashed into another vehicle. Schmitz’ then-10-year-old daughter was seriously hurt in the collision.
Winters was sentenced in March 2011 to 25 years behind bars for 2nd degree kidnapping. He was found guilty of abducting JuNetta Nelson in June 2010 and forcing her at gunpoint to drive her vehicle with Winters as a passenger.
- State supreme court to hear appeals from North Iowa burglar and sex offender
- Iowa Supreme Court hears arguments in voter ID law appeal
- Iowa Supreme Court denies 'Bachelor' appeal
- North Iowa man must remain a registered sex offender
- North Iowa man convicted of sexual assault petitions to be removed from state sex offender registry
- Albert Lea predatory offender loses appeal
- "Bachelor" heading to the Iowa Supreme Court
- Two northeast Iowa sex offenders to be released
- Floyd County sex offender loses in court again
- Man on sex offender registry wanted by authorities in north Iowa