ST. ANSGAR, Iowa - South Square, the 90 year old building that formerly housed St. Ansgar Schools, received some grants to help with upgrades.
The Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs and the Iowa Fine Arts Council awarded a $5,000 grant to go towards installing new LED stage and performance lights, adding wireless mircrophones, and a soundboard. In addition, a $3,500 grant was awarded by the State Historic Society to help with the cost of research to begin the process of a National Historic Register nomination.
Alexander Schmidt, a long-time St. Ansgar resident who attended elementary school in the building, has been part of the reviving the building, and is proud of how far it has come.
"I came back to St. Ansgar about two years ago, and saw that the building was potentially going to be torn down. I just saw it as a blank canvass and I saw so much opportunity for the community to step up and utilize it as a space that we don't really have right now, but can come together and utilize it for a better purpose."
However, they are still looking for donors and additional means of funding.
"We have a team of people who are volunteering looking for all sorts of grants. Like Nancy says every night at the start of theatre, the way that we go is through the community churning us along. So if there's any feedback that the community wants to give us, any grants that you feel like we have an opportunity to jump on, feel free to stop in and let us know about those."
The process to apply for addition to the National Historic Register usually takes about a year or more, and professional research is required.
- St. Ansgar's South Square receives grants
- Fatal crash in St. Ansgar
- Jenkins' journey at St. Ansgar
- Baldus bouncing back at St. Ansgar
- St. Ansgar man accused of federal crimes
- St. Ansgar seeks big Friday night win
- Fire departments receives grants
- Hudson tops St. Ansgar in Class A semifinal
- Second half mistakes cost St. Ansgar in semifinals
- St. Ansgar business awarded for innovations in agriculture manufacturing