MASON CITY, Iowa- North Iowa Area Community College is announcing "Spare Parts" as their common read, meaning everyone is encouraged to pick it up, read it, and use the book as a talking point.
The author of the book, Joshua Davis, spoke to a group at the NIACC auditorium Wednesday night.
He explained where the idea for the book about four illegal immigrants started and was hoping to see the immigration issue as something in the past by the time the book came out in 2015.
"I thought the book would come out out and be kind of a look back at a time when Congress had not found a way to move forward," Davis said. "I was wrong. The issue of immigration remains one of our most pressing concerns and the book has only become more relevant."
- "Spare Parts" Author in Mason City
- Authorities identify man shot in Mason City
- Authorities ID Mason City man killed in Hancock Co. crash
- Authorities: Mason City man fractures woman's orbital bone during argument
- Authorities investigate fire at vacant Mason City home
- Iowa authorities looking for escaped Mason City work-release inmate
- Authorities investigating death at Mason City Country Club
- Authorities make arrest after missing Mason City girl is located
- Mason City vs. Mason City.... in the Big Dance!
- SAW: Mason City's Danny Kamm