STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Space heaters recalled after death of Minnesota man

Federal agency says equipment can overheat while in use.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 8:54 PM

WASHINGTON, DC – A type of electric space heater is being recalled after the fiery death of a Minnesota man.

The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission says Vornado Air is recalling the VH101 Personal Vortex space heater because it can overheat when in use, creating fire and burn hazards. Anyone who bought this product is advised to stop using it immediately and contact Vornado for instructions on how to receive a replacement or a full refund.

About 350,000 of this space heater were sold From August 2009 through March 2018 at Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Menards, Orchard Supply, Target, and other stories and online at Amazon.com, Target.com, Vornado.com, and other website.

A 90-year-old man in Chanhassen, MN, died after a fire in December 2017 involving one of these heaters. The company says it has received 19 reports of these heaters catching fire.

Article Comments

Mason City
Few Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 57°
Feels Like: 73°
Albert Lea
Broken Clouds
72° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 57°
Feels Like: 72°
Austin
Scattered Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 73°
Charles City
Scattered Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 73°
Rochester
Clear
72° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 72°
Tracking Our Next Chance for Severe Weather
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Making youth sports affordable

Image

local sports program helps players become community leaders

Image

"What's On Wednesdays" in St. Charles

Image

Tracking a Sunny Start to Wednesday

Image

Re election kickoff watch party

Image

Rallying for Sudan

Image

Extra speed enforcement

Image

Local sports highlights from Tuesday

Image

Renewing the Mental Health Coordinator

Image

Four IA Counties meet to discuss disaster recovery

Community Events