MASON CITY, Iowa- It’s been said that the time to relax is when you don’t have time for it. When one is in the battle for their life against cancer, relaxing isn’t on the calendar.
When that relaxation takes place in the form of a spa day, it may be just what the doctor ordered.
“Cancer puts a whole different perspective on your life,” said Shellie Simon, of Rockford.
Simon was diagnosed last October with stage four colon cancer.
“Stage four is the last stage of it, and that is what I was diagnosed with, “she said.
But on Thursday, she didn’t have to think about the battle. She made time for herself.
“It’s wonderful,” she said. “Just to have time out just have something enjoyable happening. To put makeup on and make us feel pretty about ourselves when you don’t always feel pretty.”
Learning from the pros how to do maekup, skin care and more all while making friends who are in the same battle made for a rewarding day.
“It’s awesome to get to share positive experiences even if we’re brought together because of a negative thing.”
- Spa day 'something enjoyable' for those battling cancer
- After invite, Humboldt senior battling cancer gets her day with the Cubs at Wrigley Field
- Battle of Waterloo preview
- Humboldt softball player battling cancer hits home run, gets Wrigley Field invite from Cubs star
- College football players shave their heads to support coach battling cancer
- Preview to MS Walk: Bryant battling MS every day
- Emojis & Cancer Treatment
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Mayo's Conquering Cancer Matching Challenge
- 14th Annual Breast Cancer Walk