KNOXVILLE, Iowa (AP) - Two days after a jury found him civilly liable in his mother's death, a Knoxville man was charged with first-degree murder in her death.
The Marion County sheriff's office says 45-year-old Jason Carter was arrested Sunday afternoon. He was being held in the Marion County jail on $1 million bond.
On Friday, a jury ordered Carter to pay $10 million in the June 2015 shooting death of 68-year-old Shirley Carter at her home in Knoxville.
Carter and his father, 71-year-old Bill Carter, blamed each other for the woman's death.
Bill Carter filed a wrongful death lawsuit against his son and a Marion County jury found in his favor on Friday.
The Des Moines Register reports Jason Carter will make his first court appearance Monday.
KNOXVILLE, Iowa (AP) - A Marion County jury has said a 45-year-old man is responsible for the 2015 shooting death of his mother and that he must pay $10 million to her estate.
The Des Moines Register reports the verdict came Friday in the bizarre civil case in which a father and son accused each other of the killing. Nobody has been charged in 68-year-old Shirley Carter's death.
Bill Carter sued his son, Jason Carter, for wrongful death. The elder man says his son was financially strapped and killed Shirley Carter to gain access to his parents' $10 million in assets.
Jason Carter has denied that. His lawyer argued that it was Bill who killed his wife because she wanted to leave him and for financial gain.
A criminal investigator testified during the lawsuit that the home had been ransacked to look like a robbery, but police noted Shirley Carter's purse, prescription drugs and some checks were found near her body.
- UPDATE: Son arrested for mother's death
- UPDATE: Chickasaw Co. father blames mother for baby's neglect death
- Bremer County Sheriff's Office arrests man in son's death
- UPDATE: More details on son charged with murder of mother in Austin
- Son to stand trial for the murder of his mother
- UPDATE: Wisconsin man arrested in teen's abduction, parents' deaths
- UPDATE: Warrant issued for mother of five missing children
- UPDATE: Mother and Girl Scout killed in Wisconsin crash
- Agent: Son knew details about mother's shooting only killer would know
- Mother shares her story on bullying after son says ‘I couldn’t take it anymore’