MASON CITY, Iowa - The holiday season is a time to be with friends and family, but one soldier from our area isn't able to do that so he asked KIMT News 3 for our help.
“I would like to take this time to thank my mom, dad, family and friends and wish them a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. I miss you all and will see you soon. Go Hawks,” Matthew Ulrichs said.
Ulrichs is serving in Bagram, Afghanistan, on his first deployment. Ulrichs is from Greene and has been serving in the military for seven years. Since he's spending another holiday away from home, he thought he'd send a special hello this time.
“I don't want to say it's cliché, but it’s kind of a cliché thing for how many times I’ve been sitting at home during the season or seen several of other deployed members from my own unit or local TV, and I always told myself, 'I’m never going to do that. I don't want to do that,'” Ulrich said.
- From overseas, Greene soldier has message for family, friends
- Iowa elected officials visit the troops overseas
- Mayo High School students helping troops overseas
- Hormel organizing thank you letters for overseas military
- Harley, stung by tariffs, shifts some production overseas
- Family friend: Child who survived mall plunge back in school
- Local dentist office collecting candy for soldiers
- Iowa National Guard soldier dies in Cuba
- Central Minnesota soldiers welcomed home from Kuwait
- New track at Soldiers Field Park