BYRON, Minn. – Friday classes are cancelled at Byron Middle School as the district continues to check for any further roof damage.
The school dismissed students at 9:30 am Thursday when the building’s roof visibly sagged due to snow build up.
Structural engineers have begun their initial inspection of the roof and measures have started to reinforce portions of it. The Byron school district says when snow has been cleared from the roof there were will further assessment and repair work.
Friday will be a Flex Learning Day for Byron Middle School Students.
Previous story below
BYRON, Minn. - Snow on top of a school is causing another early dismissal.
The Byron Middle School is dismissing at 9:30 out of concerns of snow buildup on top of the school.
The school said the structure needs to be inspected, therefore the kids will be let out of school as a precaution.
The school released the following statement:
Due to the weight of accumulated snow on the Byron Middle School roof, there was some visible sagging. As a safety measure, students and staff were sent home early today. There is concern regarding whether the accumulated snow may affect some important utilities -- electrical conduits, sprinkler systems, and heating pipes -- so the school district wanted to have these issues evaluated by engineers. At this time we have not received any information that the roof presents any direct threat to student and staff safety. I will keep you updated with further information.
On Wednesday, Gage Elementary in Rochester dismissed early due to concerns about a collapsing roof.
- Sagging roof leads Byron MIddle School to cancel Friday classes
- Roof snow cancels Thursday classes at Rochester elementary school
- Byron Middle School back in session Monday after concerns of snow on roof
- Byron High School closed Wednesday over roof concerns
- Warm weather could lead to roof issues
- Waterloo district cancels high school classes, citing threat
- Minnesota schools may seek reprieve for cancelled classes
- House fire in Byron
- Roundabout coming to Byron
- Byron Middle School receives grant to create new ways of learning