ROCHESTER, Minn. – Firefighters responded to the smell of smoke and alarms from a locked home Monday.
ust before 5 pm, there was a general fire alarm at 717 14th Street NE in Rochester. Three engine companies were called in for a possible structure fire. The house was locked and glass was broken out of a door to let firefighters inside. They found the smoke was coming from a plastic container sitting on an electric cooktop that had one burner on.
The burning material was removed and the home was ventilated. The occupants arrived home before fire crews left.
The Rochester Fire Department estimates about $1,000 in damage was done to the home from smoke and flame.