WASECA, Minn. - The goal was simple.
"I'm going to jump out of a perfectly good airplane," said Leroy Navratil, who jumped 10,000 feet out of the sky alongside of his daughter and grandson for his 80th birthday.
The North Iowa man said George Bush went skydiving for his 80th and he wanted to do the same. He mentioned it to his daughter and she held him to it. The next thing he knew, he was suiting up for the big jump.
His grandson, Topher, hopes that this will start a family tradition for generations to come.
"I plan to keep this tradition going, so we're pumped," he said.
Leroy's daughter, Janet, said her father has raised his children to live fearlessly.
"He taught us to enjoy that and not to be afraid, and if you can conceive it, go ahead and do it ... we've got a pretty full fun itinerary of adventure through our history so we can attribute that to him."
- The air up there: North Iowa man goes skydiving to celebrate 80th birthday
- 80th Annual North Iowa Band Festival Winners
- Hot day for 80th Band Festival parade
- Veterans Day celebrations in North Iowa
- Mercy North Iowa celebrates Family Medicine Week
- Air quality warning across North Iowa & Southern Minnesota
- North Iowa drug charges against California man
- Man gets probation for North Iowa chase
- North Iowa man sentenced for benefit fraud
- North Iowa man airlifted after motorcycle accident