OAKDALE, Minn. (AP) - Authorities say a large water main break caused a giant sinkhole on Interstate 694 in Oakdale in the eastern Twin Cities.
The Washington County Sheriff's Office tweeted Sunday morning that the freeway was temporarily closed in both directions between 10th Street and 34th Street. The sheriff's office says Oakdale residents may face water issues because of the break.
KSTP-TV reports traffic cameras show the sinkhole had developed between lanes on the highway near the 15th Street North bridge.
The Minnesota Department of Transportation said utility work would be underway most of Sunday afternoon.
- Sink hole shuts down Twin Cities highway
- Large sink hole closes road in north central Iowa
- Kidnapping charge in Twin Cities standoff
- Home sales booming in Twin Cities area
- Twins Winter Caravan visits the Med City
- Gas leak shuts down Highway 14 in Rochester
- Preview: $1M hole-in-one shootout
- Twins' Mauer announces his retirement
- Twin Cities Woman Involved in Hwy 52 Accident
- Report: Super Bowl brought $370M to economy of Twin Cities