OLMSTED COUNTY, Minn. - A sports memorabilia collector had thousands of dollars’ worth of items stolen from a residence in Stewartville.
The Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office said the 47-year-old was missing 10 autographed Minnesota Vikings jerseys, 40 autographed Minnesota Twins jerseys, 120 autographed baseballs, 10 rare baseball cards, $300 cash and four golden coins worth $2,250. The total value was around $14,500, according to authorities, and the items went missing between Dec. 13-27 in the 2100 block of Petersen Dr. NW.
Brent Picker, a neighbor of the victim, says he was surprised this happened in his subdivision.
"We just feel like this is a safe neighborhood and community that we live in," Picker said.
But now, the most recent neighborhood heist has him wondering if he should take more steps to protect his home.
"I suppose we would consider if there were options to maybe further secure our home," Picker said.
Craig Cotten, the owner of Book Review, a sports memorabilia store believes modesty and security go hand in hand.
"Don't be bragadocious about your collection," Cotten said.
This seasoned trader also warns if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is, so be on the lookout for possible black market items.
"Be on the lookout too if somebody is offering you something at like a below market, a deal too incredible to say no to," Cotten said.
There was no signed of forced entry.
- Sheriff: Sports memorabilia collector in southern MN has nearly 200 items stolen
- Signed Joe Mauer jersey 1 of items stolen during overnight burglary in southern MN
- Police say stolen Ritchie Valens memorabilia is recovered
- Sheriff: More than 3K worth of construction tools stolen in southern MN
- Sheriff: Wanted southern MN man arrested for allegedly stealing cables
- Sheriff: Domestic incident results in charges, injuries in southern MN
- Police: More than 200 pounds of marijuana seized in southern MN traffic stop
- Road conditions causing accidents in southern MN
- Update: Wanted southern MN man located unresponsive
- Southern MN man killed in lawnmower accident