WINNESHIEK COUNTY, Iowa – A Winneshiek County Sheriff’s Deputy suffered injuries after an intoxicated driver from Cresco drove through an accident scene and struck a deputy.
Authorities said the initial accident occurred at 2:57 p.m. Tuesday when 64-year-old Gerald Ferrie, of Cresco, was westbound in a semi on Pole Line Rd. cresting a hill when 76-year-old David Drtina, of Cresco, was pulling two corn wagons and pulled out of a field.
“Ferrie saw Drtina and took evasive action by braking and ultimately swerving to the right ditch to avoid colliding with Drtina. Ferrie clipped a culvert under the roadway and rolled onto the right side spilling the load of corn. Drtina was not part of the collision,” the sheriff’s office said.
While the roadway was closed to investigate and clean up the scene, 34-year-old Adam Strand, of Cresco, “drove around a fully lit sheriff’s vehicle parked in the roadway,” authorities said. “Strand struck a Winneshiek County Deputy who was attempting to stop him from entering the accident scene.
“Strand continued through the accident scene and then struck a fully lit emergency management vehicle that was parked blocking the accident scene.”
Authorities said that due to Stand’s intoxication level he was transported by ambulance to Regional Health Services of Howard County in Cresco before being transferred to Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
The deputy who was struck suffered minor injuries. Multiple charges against Strand are pending.
- Sheriff: Intoxicated Cresco driver accused of hitting deputy after driving around accident scene
- Worth County Sheriff: Deputy nearly hit by intoxicated driver
- Cresco driver cited for January auto accident
- Cresco driver in southeastern Minnesota auto accident
- Cresco man pleads not guilty to driving through an accident scene
- Cresco man accused of running into a deputy is jailed
- Cresco woman accused of embezzling over $20,000
- Authorities say Cresco man died in NE Iowa snowmobile accident
- Update: Cresco man facing multiple charges after deputy hit by vehicle
- Iowa OL Wirfs arrested, charged with intoxicated driving