KASSON, Minnesota – A Kasson Police Officer who attempted suicide and is now facing criminal sexual conduct charges is believed to have started the conduct in 1992.
Julio Baez, 51, was discovered June 2 to have self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to authorities, and was taken into custody Tuesday at 6:15 p.m. in the 1000 block of Sugar Loaf Rd. in Winona.
One victim, born in 1993, told authorities she was sexually abused for around 11 years from the ages of 5-16.
Another victim, born in 1988, said she was sexually abused starting at the age of four, court documents state.
Baez was is accused of sexual contact as an authority with a person under 13, false imprisonment, domestic assault, 2nd degree criminal sexual conduct, 3rd degree criminal sexual conduct, and 4th degree criminal sexual conduct. He is being held on $1M bail without conditions, $500,000 with conditions.
During a press conference Thursday involving the Kasson Police Department, the Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office and the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office, authorities shed some light on how long the alleged conduct had been happening and how the case against Baez took shape.
Three alleged victims came forward after Baez’s suicide attempt, authorities said.
However, Baez’s youngest daughter came to his defense after his arraignment.
“I’ve lived with him my whole life. I wouldn’t still be here if these things were true, and he doesn’t deserve this,” Veronica Baez said.
That came after authorities said that “we believe the alleged criminal sexual conduct began in 1992 and occurred in various counties including Olmsted and Dodge.”
The Sheriff’s Office said the conduct involved “multiple victims” over “many years.”
“At this point the investigation has revealed only one incident of domestic abuse that occurred while Baez was working in an official capacity. We believe that incident occurred in 2004.”
Baez was working with the Kasson Police Department at the time. Baez has been with the Kasson Police Department for 14 years. Baez is currently on paid leave from the Kasson Police Department.
We will have more information on this developing case as it becomes available.
- Sheriff: Criminal sexual conduct by southern MN police officer began in 1992
- Man, 62, facing criminal sexual conduct charges in southern MN
- Sheriff: Men's leader in southern MN church accused of criminal sexual conduct
- Police conduct raid on southern MN house
- Former southern MN soccer coach charged with criminal sexual conduct posts bail
- More criminal sexual conduct charges leveled against southern MN soccer coach
- Sheriff: Man facing potential sexual conduct charge in connection to southern MN attack
- Guilty plea in Austin criminal sexual conduct
- Oakland man sentenced for criminal sexual conduct
- Police: Drug deal that began on Snapchat goes awry, ends with assault in southern MN