MASON CITY, Iowa- Big changes are expected to happen Tuesday as the Iowa Department of Transportation has announced they will be opening one lane of traffic on the freshly-paved Highway 122. That's something those who live on the closed of section of road say they are looking forward to as well as resolve a few issues they have encountered.
“Our son gets dropped off from the bus a block from here,’ said Mareah Van Zante, a homeowner off Highway 122. “During the construction, he has had to walk through all of it to get home. We also haven’t been receiving our mail pretty much since the project got started.”
But with the one lane opening up in front of her home, those with the Mason City Post Office say they should be able to receive their mail again.
Those with the DOT said, weather pending, they will open up the inside portion of the freshly paved westbound lane. They will also be closing one portion of the eastbound lane while they make the necessary sign and paint changes to reflect a one-way road again.
Another change drivers will see is traffic between Carolina and Massachusetts will now use the north portion of Highway 122.
Van Zante said she hopes drivers can learn the changes quickly.
“We’ve enjoyed the silence but it will be nice to have less chaos on that side of the highway,” she said. “It’s kind of intense to pull out into traffic. I think this will decrease some of the congestion that is happening.”
Those with the Iowa DOT said drivers should also pay attention to road signs on side streets. South Pennsylvania Avenue now has a stop sign again as well as President Avenue. Federal Avenue and Fifth Street has a stoplight in place.
- Section of Highway 122 to open Tuesday
- Gas leak closes Highway 122
- Iowa DOT reveals Highway 122 project
- Highway 122 construction safety changes being made
- Highway 122 construction project impacts so far
- Highway 122 project creates dangerous intersections on side streets
- Highway 122 project in Mason City 'a long time coming'
- Highway 122 reconstruction ending for the season in Mason City
- Iowa 122 reconstruction project begins
- 122 project impacting local businesses