FREEBORN COUNTY, Minn. - A man suspected of escaping the Freeborn County Jail on Monday is back in custody after attempting to flee authorities in a high-speed chase, authorities confirmed Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities said Victor Nava-Urioste was being held on an ICE detainer when he was seen on video at around noon on Monday leaving the Freeborn County Government Center.
Nava-Urioste escaped through a jail door that was believed to be locked but was unlatched.
Authorities discovered the man was missing at around 5:30 p.m.
At around 2 p.m., the Albert Lea Police Department took a complaint of a stolen vehicle from Graceland Cemetery on the west side of Albert Lea.
"Nava-Urioste drove the stolen Toyota Camry (reported stolen and mentioned in the media release from yesterday) to St Paul, MN. US ICE officers initiated a traffic stop in the St Paul area and Nava-Urioste refused to pull over and fled at a high rate of speed. The pursuit ended on a dead-end road where Nava-Urioste fled on foot. He was soon apprehended by US ICE officers and taken into custody," the Freeborn County Sheriff's Office said.
Albert resident Jodie Hofkamp was shocked when she heard the news of Nava-Urioste escape.
"Oh interesting interesting," Hofkamp said.
Hofkamp wasn’t the only one to feel this way. Natasha Thrope says she wasn’t scared but worries when something like this takes place. She is happy that things are now in the hands of investigators.
"I'm glad they are trying to figure it out,” Thrope said.
- Man who escaped from Freeborn County Jail back in custody after high-speed chase
- Rochester man going to jail for high speed chase
- Man leads authorities on high speed chase through four counties
- Fillmore County man pleads not guilty in high-speed chase
- Howard County man pleads not guilty in high-speed chase
- Not guilty plea in high speed chase
- Man pleads not guilty in high speed chase
- Rochester man gets probation for high speed chase
- Crystal Lake man gets probation for high-speed chase
- Northeast Iowa man arrested after high speed chase